Small request for later version of Nagios.

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Tue Jun 8 09:53:55 CEST 2004

Dear Nagios,

I hope this is the right place for a request for a new feature.

I am processing the performance data from Nagios, for permanent storage
and analysis for my little PerfParse project.
(http://perfparse.sourceforge.net)

The service log gives me the time, host, service, plugin output and
performance data.  One thing it does not give me is the condition of the
result.  Whether it was critical, warning, unknown or OK.

This can sometimes be worked out from the performance data, or if the
output contains the string 'OK'.  But this is not rigorous.  Some
plugins do not produce performance data, some that do don't give the
warning and critical thresholds.  Others don't give a text output which
can be parsed.  Eg, the MySQL output does not contain 'OK' or anything
else.  Or what should 'Connection refused by host' be interperated as,
warning or critical?

I would therefore with respect, ask that the state of the service be
included in the serviceperf.log file, for the use of programs like mine
attempting to record an accurate history of Nagios.

Thanks again for such a good program in Nagios!

Ben Clewett.