LDAP Configs..

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Sat Jul 17 08:33:32 CEST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Ian Holsman wrote:

> so are you thinking about having nagios ditch it's internal
> host/service structures and do a LDAP call when it needs to grab info?

yeah. I think the tree structure of LDAP would fit the config files well.
and it might eliminate some of the internal data structures just during
the nature of the conversion.

> The other method is to have a external program create a config file
> from the LDAP server, and have the smarts to bounce the nagios server
> when it detects a change.

I didn't think about that, but I think that might be a decent. "middle
step" until the schema and structure stabilized.

> Would you also be planning on dumping out service-status/host-status
> info into LDAP as well?
> (currently my mysql server is doing ~100 questions/sec .. mainly
> inserts into the service status table.. so you might want to be
> careful about that.)

No, I don't think ldap would be good for that at all. I think you would
still want to use a database backend for the service/host-status
information. You could put the comments, downtime scheduling, etc in the
LDAP database a few writes isn't going to kill it. But for the heavy
writing, and reporting a sql backend is definately better.

I see it like:
        (nagiosd optional)
      /         \
ldap - nagiosd - sql
 php config      php reporting.
  frontend

The separation of the php modules would also allow you to split those
pieces off to another server so if you want to allow for public access for
the reporting piece but you really want to lock down the configuration
part.

I don't know I am still tossing it around. I think it would take some of
the strain off the development though.