Some needed improvements

Thu Jul 8 05:33:51 CEST 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:06:38PM +0300, Vilts wrote:
> Hey
>
> We just started to use Nagios for our hosts and service monitoring and
> well, the bosses are really happy about it, such a great tool :).
> guys about these improvements

Your suggestions seem more like customisations (changing
packaging/appearance to suit your requirements) rather than
improvements. Not everyone is going to find that your proposals
improve usability.

> First of all, I somehow need to know and show who are contacts for every
> host and I need to show these admin's email and pager addresses also. So
> I guess the best place for this info would be in 'Host' section under
> Host State Information. Has anyone done this before, or are there some
> reasons why this hasn't been done, or why it's not good idea?

Isn't the config information enough for you ?

If not, and you really want a different view of the Nag data, why not
create another (a new) CGI that integrates the config info with whatever
else you want (there is a Perl Nagios object config parser on CPAN that
may help with this).

Is there any chance that the CGIs in 2.0alpha suit you better ?

> When alarms occur, they need to be ack'ed by monitoring dept and they
> need to add commend like 'this error has been ack'ed and forwarded to A.
> Dmin'. How is most reasonable to do this? These ack messages need to be
> stored also.

I am not with you here.

Do you mean that the recipient of notification is _not_ the person who
will fix it ?

Yes ? The recipient acks as above; the ack message becomes a persistent
comment.
No ? then probably the recip is the fixer. As above.

Yours sincerely.
Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.