Submiting patch for nrpe

Stephen Strudwick sas at pipex.net
Thu Jan 22 17:00:06 CET 2004

> Double-encrypting isn't really an extra-layer; there are some theoretical
> attacks that suggest that double encryption can be harmful.  No idea if it is
> in the this particular case; however, just using OpenSSL or GnuTLS to do both
> client/server authentication, and data encryption is the easiest solution.

Yep I got this wrong :) I forgot about the meet in the middle attack.

using the same cipher it seems triple encryption using 2 keys offers a
gain, but double encryption dosnt.

I dont know how this applies to using 2 different ciphers (and only 1
key)and whether the meet in the middle attack can be applied.

>From what Ive read I think it would. In fact the encryption would only be
as strong as the weakest cipher I beleive ?

So maybe it is best to keep SSL and BF apart.

At least we know the strengths and weaknesses of each cipher on its own.

-
Stephen Strudwick
Advanced Development Engineer
Development Group, Product Development