Submiting patch for nrpe

Stephen Strudwick sas at pipex.net
Wed Jan 21 18:44:05 CET 2004

> The reason for this is I think the encryption should probably
> be used on top of SSL, rather than instead of it.

I never thought of adding it this way, It should be easy to change
however, the code should work on top of SSL with no problems.

I might do this and submit another patch.

> If we go with crypto
> on top of the TLS connection, I would probably look at brining back
> optional support for the mcrypt() library, which handles a number of
> crypto algorithms (including Blowfish).

I understand why you would want to do this, the only problem is I dont
think theres a port of mcrypt() for windows NT ?

I know the nrpe_nt is really a seperate branch to the nagios code, but I
really like the fact that nrpe_nt has the same code and functionality as
nrpe (unix). It might be a bit more difficult to keep this using mcrypt.

I might be wrong tho.

The reason I used this encryption code instead of mcrypt is that we
developed it in house about 4 years ago originaly to sync UNIX/NT
databases encrypted and then later much for the same reson mcrypt
was written (the code I added to nrpe is ripped out from a larger
set of perl/c modules and NT DLL's).

This meant it was easier to maintain compatibility with the NT code.

I ported the blowfish changes to nrpe_nt last week and its pretty much
line for line the same as the unix version, I will release a patch for
this asap.

Anyway, at the end of the day I need the encrypted authentication blowfish
provides. In the short term I will use these patches, if something similar
is released by nagios that does the same job I will use that instead.

In the mean time, any changes I make I will also make available, simply
because its a bonus for our operations department to be able to use an
offical release than a in house patched release.

-
Stephen Strudwick
Advanced Development Engineer
Development Group, Product Development