Nagios 1.2 Test Release

Wed Jan 21 09:15:51 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:44:03PM -0600, Ethan Galstad wrote:
> I'm planning on releasing Nagios 1.2 this weekend and I'd like to
> have a few people give the code a shot before doing so.

Program-Wide Performance Information
Active Checks: Time Frame             Checks Completed
               <= 1 minute:          45 (11.5%)
               <= 5 minutes:        188 (48.1%)
               <= 15 minutes:       313 (80.1%)
               <= 1 hour:           326 (83.4%)
               Since program start: 188 (48.1%)

# ./configure  --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/include/gd
--with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib --enable-embedded-perl --with-perlcache

on FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p1

with

. (as yet private) patches to p1.pl, checks.c, and utils.c to return
Perl servcie check results in memory (instead of via file system)

. embedded Perl leaking no worse than before

. runs at least as well as 1.0 with same patches (in 'reticent' mode ie
no ePN logging of syntax errors etc. This is a manual setting in
p1.pl; developers can set 'garrulous' mode - provides the log of ePN
syntax errors - or 'debug' for hacking).

There may be a slight perf boost but it is certainly no worse and I like
saving the syscalls (read, open, unlink).

194 hosts, 372 active checks (51 Sec triggered passives) on 850 Mhz
Celeron with a few other lightly used applications (sendmail, named,
apache, sms_serv, amd/nfs, all pty access by ssh),

tsitc> w
 7:15PM  up 2 days,  2:11, 8 users, load averages: 0.04, 0.13, 0.11
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
anwsmh           p0       wf-136            5:34PM    20 -su (csh)
anwsmh           p1       wf-136            5:34PM     - w
anwsmh           p2       wf-136            5:34PM  1:40 top
anwsmh           p3       wf-136            5:34PM  1:23
/usr/local/bin/ruby ./ns_log_localtime
anwsmh           p4       wf-136            5:53PM  1:20 tail -f
sms_serv
anwsum           p5       PC09346           6:34PM    24 tail -f
nagios.log
anwsmh           p6       wf-136            6:37PM    35 -csh (csh)
anwsum           p7       PC09346           6:54PM    20 top
tsitc>

>  A couple of
> bugs have been fixed since 1.1 - I think I got them all, but I'm not
> positive due to the volume of email that I've seen lately.  The
> latest 1.x code from CVS (what will be 1.2) will be available at the
> following URL tomorrow morning once the tarball gets updated (about
> 4:00am CST).  If anyone runs into bugs, send a message (and a diff or
> stack trace if possible) to this list.  Thanks!
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/download/cvs/nagios-1-x-cvs.tar.gz

It has only been running for about 15 minutes so far; should it fail -
and I don't expect it to - I will go back to plain (unpatched ePN) 1.2
and (try and) get a bt etc.

Yours sincerely.
Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.