problems with performance of cgi's

Fri Feb 13 13:46:40 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:26:02AM +0100, Marcus Hildenbrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently monitoring 2100 Hosts with 9900 active service checks
> with Nagios 1.2. The main problem of that large number of monitored
> hosts are the cgi's. Most of the cgi's need more than 30 seconds to
> load. The current installation is running on a server with 4x700 MHz
> Pentium 3 CPU's with 4 GB RAM running SuSE SLES 7. The check latency is
> normally under 2 seconds and the cpu idle time is about 33%. So the
> scheduling of the active service checks and the overall CPU performance
> seems to be no problem.

One stupid suggestion is that if you have hacking/coding resources you
might want to have the CGIs deliver gzipped output; this may be doable
by Apache or an Apache module.

The ntop project does this (not with Apache) and the performance is very
crisp, even on very underpowered ntop hosts.

> Will the cgi's be faster in Nagios 2.0 for large configurations?

This change in 2.0 is aimed (IIRC) at boosting performance

'3. Daniel Drown's chained hash patch for object search functions'

- replacing linked list searches for objects with hash lookups.

If I understand corectly, this is already in the 2.0 alpha so you might
give it a pop on your P4 box.

  .. snip ..

> Any hints how to solve this problems,

Apart from the tuning info in the docs
(http://you/nagios/docs/tuning.html).

There have been a few letters about the performance of enormous Nag
installations (mainly about check latency IIRC); you may find that the
archives have something to offer.

> Many thanks
> Marcus

Stanley Hopcroft