problems with performance of cgi's

Marcus Hildenbrand Marcus.Hildenbrand at sap.com
Fri Feb 13 10:26:02 CET 2004

Hi,

we are currently monitoring 2100 Hosts with 9900 active service checks
with Nagios 1.2. The main problem of that large number of monitored
hosts are the cgi's. Most of the cgi's need more than 30 seconds to
load. The current installation is running on a server with 4x700 MHz
Pentium 3 CPU's with 4 GB RAM running SuSE SLES 7. The check latency is
normally under 2 seconds and the cpu idle time is about 33%. So the
scheduling of the active service checks and the overall CPU performance
seems to be no problem.

We already tried to migrate to a new server with 2x2.4 GHz Pentium 4
CPU's with 4 GB RAM running SuSE SLES 8. Unfortunately it runs slower on
that box. For example a nagios -v nagios.cfg runs 3 times slower on that
new box. The same is true for SuSE SLES 7. There seems to be a problem
with Nagios running on Pentium 4 CPU's. Any idea how to tune Nagios
running on a Pentium 4?

Will the cgi's be faster in Nagios 2.0 for large configurations?

As I understand distributed monitoring, the webinterface runs on a
central monitoring server and the checks are done by the ditributed
monitoring servers. We have no problems with scheduling the service
checks itself. We have only problems with using the webinterface. So
setting up distributed monitoring should not solve our problem. Am I rigth?

Any hints how to solve this problems,

Many thanks
Marcus