running checks on a specific network interface

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 26 12:06:31 CEST 2004

Albert Spruyt wrote:
> we are currently changing nagios servers (machine and nagios version).
> The new machine has 2 network interfaces  as well as 3 virtual ones.
> Is there an easy ( or a not so easy one) way to get the traffic from the
> nagios checks onto a specific network interface?(like the apache
> listen:*.*.*.*:** directive) If no-one  seems interested please point me
> in the right direction. could it be done with  a wrapper script?
> or would it mean changing all the checks? or has it already been
> implemented?
> it would allow me in the future to change nagios to a diffrent server
> whithout much hassle.
> ( we like our servers that way ;) )

The IP-stack resides in the kernel. Which interface will be used for
sending is determined by what routes you have configured. The traffic is
expected back on any interface, and the kernel will make sure the
socket-handling program receives the proper data.

If you're talking about nsca sending passive checks, you'd still have to
work on the IP layer, so rewriting it wouldn't have much impact.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer