patch: new feature, rackgroups

Matthew Kent mkent at magoazul.com
Thu Aug 26 00:30:56 CEST 2004

Working remotely 95% of the time, one thing I found myself wanting in
Nagios was a better physical representation of our racked equipment in
the datacenter. Initially I looked at http://rackview.sourceforge.net/
but I really wanted something that can take advantage of the status
information nagios provides, to better visualize problems like a group
of warm servers detected by our lm_sensors monitoring.

This patch adds support for a new object, a rackgroup. Similar in
function and usage to a hostgroup, it's primarily a logical
organization. Here's an example of the output

http://magoazul.com/proj/nagios/rackgroup_overview_sample.png
http://magoazul.com/proj/nagios/rackgroup_grip_sample.png

It supports all the different views that hostgroups do, but I've only
added a link to the most useful view (overview) into the side.html

And here's what the definitions look like, 'size' is in the standard 'U'
measurement:

define rackgroup {
rackgroup_name 07
alias Hosting
members foo
rack_total_size 44
}

define hostextinfo {
host_name       foo
rack_size       2
rack_position   24
use             ext-redhat
}

define hostextinfo {
host_name       bar
rack_size       3
rack_position   21
rackgroup       01
use             ext-redhat
}

I've also added the following macros:

$RACKGROUPNAME$
$RACKGROUPALIAS$

I chose to place the rack information in hostextinfo as it doesn't have
any interaction with actual monitoring.

This feature is fully implemented in nagios and all included cgis, just
like hostgroups. In fact a great deal of the work was copy+pasting
existing stable code, so the patch is rather large (henced gzip'd) but
the risk is low.

I also included some logic omissions in the different status.cgi views
and fixed some general typos. Patch is against the HEAD branch in cvs.

If this is accepted I can make some more diffs for the documentation.
--
Matthew Kent <mkent at magoazul.com>
http://magoazul.com