[Nagios-users] Re: Perl problems in Nagios 2.0a1 (Tom DE BLENDE (GCC))

Wed Aug 18 02:31:30 CEST 2004

Dear Tom,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:19:50PM +0200, Tom DE BLENDE (GCC) wrote:
> Dear Stanley,

  .. snip ..

> I am using 1.0, but that turned out to be quite irrelevant.
>

> >1 To find out what's breaking you need to compile Nag with DEBUG1 (see
> >the configure help to find how to do this), then run Nag in foreground
> >and catch the output.
> >

> This turned out to be the way to go. From the output I could see that
> Nag behaved nicely, but the plugins were the problem. They couldn't
> locate utils.pm. Some had the path hard coded to the netsaint
> installation I used ages go.

The light in the darkness is that if you were using ePN in 2.x, you
could have edited the text of p1.p1 in the manner described by perldoc
p1.pl

'
SYNOPSIS

Edit the text to set the values of (the 'use constant' statements) the
log path, EPN_STDERR_LOG, and any one (only) of the boolean log level
flags GARRULOUS, DEBUG, and RETICENT. The default is to set RETICENT,
and to use <path_to_Nagios/var/epn_stderr.log> as the log path.

The log level flags determine the amount and type of messages logged in
the log path.

The RETICENT log level results in similar behaviour to former versions
of p1.pl.  In particular, the log file EPN_STDERR_LOG will not be
opened.
'

Setting the DEBUG log level would have logged all the Perl compiler
complaints in the (new) ePN log and so saved you having to recompile and
run Nag in the foreground.

This may have saved you some effort

> Thanks,
> Tom