Hostgroup parents

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 16 13:38:52 CEST 2004

Pedro Miguel Nunes Ferreira wrote:

> Ola pessoal.
> Hello.
> I'm trying to develop a new funcionality to Nagios.
> This new funcionality must build a tree of hostgroups ( similar to the host
> member  structure ), but made of hostgroups
>
> hostgroup parent of another hostgroup and so on
>
> So we should have something like this
>
> hostgroup 1 -(parent of) |-->hostgroup 2
>                       +-->hostgroup 3
>
> hostgroup 3 -( parent of ) --> hostgroup 4
> in the end
> hostgroupt 1 parent of hostgroup 3 parent of hostgroup 4
> this structure is independent of the membres of each hostgroup

Considering the fact that 99% of all networking equipment has a single
parent only, I'd say this idea would break things more than it would
help, or that you haven't quite understood the idea of parents.

What you might be suggesting can (to some degree) be accomplished with
hostdependencies and the hostgroup_name and dependent_hostgroup_name
statements in those objects, without having a status map that's totally
insane...

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer