Peformance Data in a Database

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu Apr 15 17:11:28 CEST 2004

Chris Wilson wrote:

 > I guess that would depend on having specific information on each
plugin? Perhaps one table per plugin is appropriate, or a single table
with some generic/common fields such as response time, and a text field
for the full details returned by the plugin which can be parsed "by hand"?

No parsing by hand please!  The format of the performance data from the
plugin is clearly defined by specification.  Designed to make it as easy
as possible to parse.  Invented by people far more qualified than my self.

Eg, the output from the current performance file, generated by:

$TIMET$|$HOSTNAME$|$SERVICEDESC$|$OUTPUT$|$PERFDATA$

Is: (abbreviated)

1082039465|host|http|HTTP OK|time=0.002143s;;;0.000000 size=1132B;;;0

This perfdata line includes two metrics, 'time' and 'size', separated by
white space and including specified data.  Other plugins return less or
more metrics, with more or less data.

Ideally there would be one table for all performance data.  This line
would form two records in this table.  With a parent table describing
the metric, this with a parent table of the service, as exists, and a
parent table of host, as exists.

perfdata:
+------+---------+--------+----------+---------------------+
| host | service | metric | value    | time                |
+------+---------+--------+----------+---------------------+
| host | http    | time   | 0.002143 | 2004-04-15 16:00:00 |
| host | http    | size   | 1132.000 | 2004-04-15 16:00:00 |
+------+---------+--------+----------+---------------------+

metric:
+------+---------+--------+------+
| host | service | metric | unit |
+------+---------+--------+------+
| host | http    | time   | s    |
| host | http    | size   | B    |

Therefore another reason for having 'hosts', as the logical
informational domain describing a relation onto which services can be
referenced.

 > Right now I can't get Nagios to log any performance data at all, so
it may be a moot point :-)

Try http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/perfdata.html worked for me :)

Anyway, all just ideas...

Ben