Peformance Data in a Database

Chris Wilson chris at netservers.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 16:10:34 CEST 2004

Hi Ben,

> -	Handling the zero, one or many metrics of performance data from each
> line of data, extracting the true figures.

I guess that would depend on having specific information on each plugin?
Perhaps one table per plugin is appropriate, or a single table with some
generic/common fields such as response time, and a text field for the full
details returned by the plugin which can be parsed "by hand"?

> -	Patching Nagios to use this data for it's own use.  Ie, hystergrams of
> past performance.  (Or a great idea I think: projected figures for
> estimated time of failure, using one of many exciting algorithms.)

I think that this might be difficult, given that Ethan has said that the
CGIs need reworking and (I gather) he does not plan to do this himself,
rather to rewrite them in PHP?

How about an API for performance data, into which we can plug generic
performance-processing modules which interact with text files, MySQL
databases, whatever.

> -	Including this as a patch on MySQL.

Sorry, I don't follow. Do you mean a patch to the Nagios MySQL interface?
If so then I'm not sure that this is worth doing, given that Nagios MySQL
integration is going away completely in 2.0, and thus our efforts should
be focussed on producing a generic API. What do people think about this?

> If I get a working parser, I'll post a link.

Yes, please do. I'd be happy to try it.

Right now I can't get Nagios to log any performance data at all, so it may
be a moot point :-)

Cheers, Chris.
--
 / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson -- UNIX Firewall Lead Developer |