cfg_dir directory and dir/file symlinks?

Mueller, Karl KMueller at netsuite.com
Mon Apr 12 20:39:16 CEST 2004

What's the rationale behind only following true regular files in loading
configuration directories with cfg_dir?  I'm in a situation where I need
to define certain checks on some hosts but not others.  Symlinking
configuration files seems like a very good way to manage them, rather
than defining them separately. Or, perhaps even symlinking directories.
The code that makes this distinction is here:

(xdata/xodtemplate.c:10075)

#ifdef _DIRENT_HAVE_D_TYPE
                        /* only process normal files */
                        if(dirfile->d_type!=DT_REG)
                                continue;
#endif

I can understand not wanting to read various special types of files, but
is there a reason to exclude symlinks/only follow pure files?  I can
submit a patch if this isn't intentional.

Thanks!
-Karl