alright, this is getting downright retarded...

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Fri Nov 21 21:57:10 CET 2003

> > Well, automake-1.6 and autoconf-2.58 pukes all over these files as well.
> > Please someone tell me you're halfway through a commit?
>
> Hmmm. I'm running automake 1.78 and autoconf 2.57 (on Fedora Core 1), no
> problems here.

I just upgraded to the latest, I was about one version before yours, now
I'm at 1.79 and 2.58 just like you mentioned in your followup message.

> > I'm more than willing to spend time and effort hacking away on this, but
> > the development environment needs to be even halfway capable of providing a
> > build.
>
> I guess the first thing that would help is to find out why the gnu tool
> chain is failing for you. Can you be more specific than "pukes"

cyclops 490% aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 1406: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 1407: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library

cyclops 490% autoconf
configure.in:6: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:1406: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
configure.in:1407: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT

cyclops 491% autoheader

cyclops 492% automake
configure.in: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.in: You should verify that configure.in invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.in: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.in: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
configure.in: required file `./install-sh' not found
configure.in: required file `./mkinstalldirs' not found
configure.in: required file `./missing' not found
configure.in:8: required file `./config.guess' not found
configure.in:8: required file `./config.sub' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./INSTALL' not found
lib/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
/opt/gnu/share/automake-1.7/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/opt/gnu/share/automake-1.7/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/opt/gnu/share/automake-1.7/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/opt/gnu/share/automake-1.7/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

Just FYI, we use autoconf for our internal code and I use it daily for
various other projects we're tracking via CVS.  There are no system problems
with autoconf that I'm aware of, and we do use it daily.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.