Interested in Nagios<->ruleCore integration?

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Sun Nov 16 07:28:15 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 22:46, John P. Rouillard wrote:
> >We have built a kind event pattern detector, or event correlation engine
> >as it also could be called. It's free and you can get it under GPL from
> >www.rulecore.com
> >
> >I have been getting a number of requests to use ruleCore together with
> >Nagios. But this requires some work to make Nagios and ruleCore talk to
> >each other. I don't have any experience with Nagios so I wonder if
> >somebody would be interested in doing this integration.
>
> Search the nagios-devel list for "sec". You will find Stanley Hopcroft
> and my discussion on integrating nagios and sec, the simple event
> correlator. I posted my patches and supporting scripts in this
> message:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=5822542
>
> I was dissapointed that nobody (other than Stanley) really seemed
> interested in integrating a general purpose correlation tool into
> nagios. Never even got a comment from Ethan good or bad.

I wouldn't take that as meaning anything one way or another, having
worked with Ethan for a few years now. Right now, it seems he's just
coding v2. And when he's in that mode, there tends to be scant traffic
from him except on major bugs. I do the same to some extent -- I have
intentionally not looked at this, because I do need to get plugins 1.4
wrapped up.

I'd suggest

1) granting the benefit of the doubt that Ethan is following the thread
at a overview level (at least)

2) planning to bring the topic up again shortly after v2 is released.

Submitting straw-man implementations may even be appropriate, provided
they are done against the v2 codebase. But of course that is best done
by people who have experience with the reality that of all the code
written, only some small percentage makes it to production.

--
Karl