[Nagiosplug-devel] will the pgsql-timestamp patch be released ?

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Fri May 16 07:49:33 CEST 2003

Hello Karl,

Friday, May 16, 2003, 9:31:31 AM, you wrote:

>> > So - is it possible to produce a stable beta as snapshot from CVS with patched timestamps for
>> > pg-7.3.x, or to write a patch for 1.0 ?

KD> ISTM that the poster really meant Nagios, not the plugins, and posted
KD> the wrong list?

KD> The plugin does not use timestamp.

>From http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xdata-db.html:

===Cut===
Introduction

This will explain how to optionally compile both the CORE PROGRAM
(highlighted by me - EMZ) and the CGIs so that they natively support
storage of various types of data in one or more databases. Currently
only MySQL and PostgreSQL databases ARE SUPPORTED (highlighted by me - EMZ),
although more may be supported in the future.
===Cut===

So - what can I say ?

The author REALLY meant nagios itself,

and POSTGRESQL ISN'T FULLY SUPPORTED NOW. Only older versions of it.

The author wrote about it in nagios-users@ and was ignored halfyear
ago. So then it decided to wait for a while.

I think now it's time to wake up.
I read about pgsql patch here, in nagios-devel@ three or four months ago.

Is it commited ? If yes - why the new beta with pgsql-code is not
released ?

Sure, - I know that the developers are not anybody's slaves, and noone
HAVE TO DO something about it, but I STILL HOPE that someone will. 8)

I don't wanna use the plug - it's written that pgsql is NATIVELY
supported. BTW, all with 7.2.x works fine except timestamps - is it
really difficult to fix their code ?

The simpliest way is , certainly, to exclude native postgresql support
from docs on www.nagios.org or to redeclare it - and write supported
versions list.

--
Best regards,