bug report & feature request: hostextinfo problems

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jun 11 23:47:58 CEST 2003

(I'm running Nagios 1.1 on Mac OS X.)

I'm a brand new Nagios user and like it quite a lot.  I have been doing a
bunch of copy/rearrange/paste in Emacs the past few days trying to extract
data from a locally developed system I hope to dispense with and dump it
into Nagios.  I have a little feedback for the developers.

Documentation buglet: I went to set up some hostextinfo templates today and
got off in the weeds rather quickly, in part because the commentary in the
cgi.cfg file is incomplete and misleading.  There are a couple large blocks
of commented out (old style) hostextinfo and serviceextinfo commands and
descriptions which suggest that file is the place to define external info
templates.  In addition, there is no commented out xedtemplate_config_file
directive which refers to a sample hostextinfo.cfg file.  Put together, the
naive assumption is that external info templates belong in cgi.cfg.

Feature request: My hostextinfo.cfg file now has a handful of templates like

    define hostextinfo{
            name                   winextinfo

            icon_image             win40.png
            vrml_image             win40.png
            statusmap_image        win40.gd2

            register               0
            }

and a huge number of simple templates like

    define hostextinfo{
            use                    winextinfo
            host_name              admsvr
            }
    define hostextinfo{
            use                    winextinfo
            host_name              woodstock
            }
    define hostextinfo{
            use                    winextinfo
            host_name              ad
            }

I would find it much less painful to define all this information if I could
associate a single template with a bunch of hosts like so:

    define hostextinfo{
            use                    winextinfo
            host_names             admsvr,woodstock,ad,rhodes,cyclops,...
            }

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at pobox.com