Updated RPM for Nagios 1.0

Mon Jun 2 01:45:57 CEST 2003

Dear SIr,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 01:34:18PM -0400, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> > > I am getting an error in the build, however:
> > >
> > > perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e xsinit
> > > gcc -O3 -mcpu=pentium -I/usr/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c perlxsi.c  `perl
> > > -MExtUtils::Embed -e ccopts`
> > > gcc -O3 -mcpu=pentium -I/usr/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c mini_epn.c `perl
> > > -MExtUtils::Embed -e ccopts`
> > > mini_epn.c: In function `main':
> > > mini_epn.c:116: `my_perl' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > > mini_epn.c:116: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > > mini_epn.c:116: for each function it appears in.)
> > > make: *** [mini_epn] Error 1
> > > error: Bad exit status from /tmp/rpm-tmp.53847 (%build)
> > >
> > > This is on RH 9. I'll look into it, but if anyone recognizes the
> > > problem, I'm not averse to hints.
> >

> > Are you sure you have an up-to-date version of mini_epn.c?  I can't
> > find any reference to "my_perl" in the current code.
>
> It is up-to-date, and neither can I find it in the code. I assume it is
> geneterated by something like `perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e xsinit`.
>
> I think my solution will be to change the makefile so mini-epn is not
> generated unless you do a embedded perl build, which is more correct
> anyway. I will do that later today, if the kids cooperate.
>
> Then, we'll just have the caveat thet the update won't build embedded
> perl for RH9, which I think is the case anyway.
>
> Input from Stanley might help here too, as I do not use embedded perl
> yet (although I have great hope for it in the future).

I am sorry about this; I should have piped up long ago about this.

The patches sent Mr Galstad to refactor the embedding support for
mini_epn (by creating the perlxsi.c stuff) _do not_ work for contempoary
Perls with threading support (FWIW, this is a problem on any platform I
have access to [Deb and FreeBSD] that has a threaded Perl. Perhaps I
should try Sol).

The errors are as above, namely claims that variables that _are_ defined
by the Perl includes have not been defined.

I don't have an answer at this point.

The only alternatives I see are

. mark mini_epn broken (don't build) and I will try to see if it can be
fixed

. rip out the perlxsi stuff - revert to the mini_epn version prior to
that patch - and manually merge the Suse patches(for check.c from the
Nag core) for thread support.

> --
> Karl

Yours sincerely.