Patch for check_nt.c

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Fri Dec 5 06:48:44 CET 2003

Hi all,

Please find attached my patch for version 1.7.2.3 of check_nt.c. This patch
adds the ability to check disk space based on the amount of Mb left on a
partition. I wrote this because 1% of a 100Gb partition is still a lot of
space! :D

The command line option is -m or --mb. The logic behind the checks is
reversed against the percentage checks: the percentage method checks
against the amount of disk space used; the Mb method checks against the
amount of free space left.

I could have got the same functionality from NRPE_NT or by using a 3rd
party solution, but I haven't had cause to deploy NRPE_NT yet, so I decided
to patch check_nt.c.

Technical stuff:
I used Mb values rather than Gb values because of the use of the unsigned
long type for the percentage values, which are used extensively through out
check_nt.c. So rather than rewrite a lot of check_nt.c so you could
specify, say, -w 1.2 (Gb), I decided to use Mb value on the command line.
(Debugging revealed that when a float value is converted into an unsigned
long, you would get a negative value in that unsigned long - not good when
checking remaining disk space!)

Yves: I've submitted this patch to sourceforge.

Thanks,

=================================
Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer