php frontend?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Mon Aug 11 06:12:24 CEST 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> hi all
>
> I just read the http://www.nagios.org/upcoming.php text (and the quoted part
> below, and I keep wondering why the php frontend should wait as far as early
> 2004. The text states that several developers have voted to contribute
> time/code to speed this up. Although these seem to want to use time to do
> this, it's not accepted without any given reason.
>
> I just wonder - how many active developers are there in the Nagios project?
> How can this potentially be increased, so the frontend'll be opened up with
> php?
>
> ps. no offence - I just want Nagios better :)
>
> roy

<snip>

There are a couple of active(?) php frontend development teams based on
announcements on the list.

Ethan is the primary and sole developer of the core nagios platform. One
of the reasons he asked to hold off on re-doing the front end was the
revamping of the internals - specially the new event daemon that is now
part of CVS. That will have a significant impact on how and where the
front-end will get the status data.

2004 isn't so far off :) and php re-write in addition to performance, will
provide the foundation for localization.

--
-sg