Weirdness in nagios 1.1

michael at optusnet.com.au michael at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 2 06:50:03 CEST 2003

In nagios 1.1, the routine check_for_external_commands() reads the
external command pipe, builds the list of results in memory, and then
fork()s to re-feed them _again_ back into the main process! (via
process_passive_service_checks() and write_svc_message()).

Is there some technical reason that process_passive_service_checks()
doesn't just call reap_service_checks() directly? (I know the calling
convention will have to be changed slightly).

That would avoid the significant overhead currently involved in the fork
et al.

I noticed this because I'm having a LOT of trouble getting nagios to
scale. It performs very badly as soon as the number of hosts or
services rises above a trivial amount. Is nagios supposed to be able
to handle 1000s of services and hosts?

Thanks muchly,
Michael.