redis memory increasing linearly

Anders Håål anders.haal at ingby.com
Mon Dec 4 10:43:44 CET 2017

Hi Francesco,

Redis memory will increase with the number of data points you collect
and how long time you configured to keep them.

So what was the memory before it started to grow? Was it steady on this
level? How much is it growing? And not using the redis instance for
anything else? (redis-cli info)

It's a good sign that your memory is the same between restarts, since
that means that the redis persistence works.

Have you restarted bischeck after the 20 Nov?

When it comes to the memory config in redis there are a number of
strategies to manage memory, but in the bischeck setup redis is used as
a data store and not as a cache, so you would not like to have any
eviction polices. Setting max-memory will just make any write fail when
redis is at its max-memory.

I think its safe to upgrade redis to a later version, but please try it
first. Currently I run bischeck on 4.0.2 without problem. At the same
time I do not think this is a redis bug.

To track what goes on in the your redis instance you can check with
redis-cli. Every servicedefinition becomes its own list in redis. You
can check the size (llen) of the list and see if its relates to your
purge configuration. You can also read the first and last entities in
the list to check the time stamp (lrange). Depending on the bischeck
config you may also have additional lists for the servicedefinition for
aggregrations.

/Anders

--

Ingby <http://www.ingby.com>

bischeck - dynamic and adaptive monitoring for Nagios <http://www.bischeck.org>

anders.haal at ingby.com<mailto:anders.haal at ingby.com>

Mjukvara genom ingenjörsmässig kreativitet och kompetens

Ingenjörsbyn
Box 531
101 30 Stockholm
Sweden