changing the email message notification content

Justin Pryzby justinp at norchemlab.com
Wed Sep 25 02:51:22 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 04:06:28PM -0400, Jonathan Murray wrote:
> I have a user that's asked that when the check_proc notification emails
> get sent, that they include the output of ps (or something)
>
> Can someone give me an example of how they've solved this, or an idea on
> how you might solve it?

I have a wrapper around check_procs on some machines, which uses
multi-line output (actually, mine is currently using peformance
output, which is probably wrong).

Something like:
ret=0
check_procs || ret=$?;
ps -eo comm |sort |uniq -c |sort -nr
exit $ret

You can put that in nrpe directly or with a wrapper script.

That shows up in the cgi and in logs, which is nice on its own.

I think you'll likely have to modify your notify command to use
$LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$, and perhaps upgrade NRPE to support long output.

I wouldn't recommend using long output in any command that also sends
text messages.

Another way to implement it is with event handlers; that would send a
separate email (in addition to the notification).

Justin