check_openmanage and pdisk_cert blacklist question

Russell Kackley rkackley at naoj.org
Mon Sep 16 20:41:26 CEST 2013

I have been using the check_openmanage Nagios plugin for several years and
am very happy with the way it works. However, I do have a question about
one of the blacklist items, specifically the pdisk_cert item. This question
arose because I noticed a difference between the way check_openmanage
reports a non-Dell certified disk in the "Failure Predicted" condition,
depending on whether the disk is connected via an older PERC card (e.g.,
PERC 6/E) vs. a new PERC card (e.g., H810). I would like to get Trond's and
the community's opinion on how the pdisk_cert blacklist item should be
interpreted.

I am running check_openmanage version 3.7.11/Nagios 3.2.3/Dell OMSA
7.1.0/Ubuntu 12.04.

I have two PowerEdge 2950 servers each with their own MD1000. Each MD1000
has a mix of Dell-certified and non-certified disks. One server uses a PERC
6/E card to connect to its MD1000, while the other server uses a PERC H810
card to connect to its MD1000. I am using the same check_openmanage command
to check both servers:

$USER1$/check_openmanage -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -b pdisk_cert=all

On the server with the PERC 6/E card, I got the expected status when a disk
was in the "Failure Predicted" state:

Physical Disk 0:0:2 [Dell ST31000640SS, 1.0TB] on ctrl 1 is Online, Failure
Predicted

However, my other server, with the H810 card, also has a disk that Dell
OMSA is reporting as "Failure Predicted". Despite that problem I get an
"OK" message, using the same check_openmanage command:

OK - System: 'PowerEdge 2950 III', SN: 'XXXXXXX', 8 GB ram (4 dimms), 2
logical drives, 17 physical drives

If I run check_openmanage without the blacklist, I see the problem disk as:

Physical Disk 0:0:13 [Seagate ST31000640SS, 1.0TB] on ctrl 1 is Online,
Failure Predicted, Not Certified

So, it appears that the "pdisk_cert=all" blacklist is suppressing both
warnings about the disk, i.e., the fact that it is "Not Certified" as well
as the fact that it is also "Failure Predicted".

To get an idea of what I should expect the pdisk_cert blacklist to do, I
consulted both the check_openmanage web page(
http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/check_openmanage.html) and the
check_openmanage man page. The check_openmanage web page says that the
pdisk_cert blacklist will "Ignore warnings for non-certified physical
drives". I guess one could interpret that as saying "Ignore *all* warnings
related to non-certified physical drives", which would include "Failure
Predicted", because that is a "Warning" condition. On the other hand, the
check_openmanage man page says that pdisk_cert blacklist will "Suppress
warning message  about non-certified physical disk." I would interpret the
meaning of that a little bit differently,
i.e., it will suppress *only* the warning about being non-certified, but
report other warnings, e.g., "Failure Predicted".

So, here is my question to the people in the Nagios community using
check_openmanage with pdisk_cert: Are you expecting that check_openmanage
will suppress *all* warnings about non-certified disks or that it will
suppress *only* the non-certified warning, but report other warnings, such
as "Failure Predicted"?

I welcome comments or corrections to my interpretation of the pdisk_cert
documentation/behavior. Thank you.

--
Russell Kackley
Subaru Telescope