Odd Problem with check_yum on one server...

Sean Alderman salderman1 at udayton.edu
Fri Sep 13 16:12:45 CEST 2013

Greetings,
  I'm hoping someone might be able to provide a hint on this issue.  Its
strange, it happens only on one of my CentOS 6.4 servers.

Nagios server reports /usr/bin/yum not found when executing the following
test:

[root at nagios ~]# sudo -u nagios /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H
> test.example.com -c check_yum -a noarg
> UNKNOWN: /usr/bin/yum cannot be found

Over on test.example.com:

[root at test ~]# ps -ef|grep nrpe|grep -v grep
> nrpe     20038     1  0 Sep10 ?        00:00:22 /usr/sbin/nrpe -c
> /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg -d
> [root at test ~]# sudo -u nrpe /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_yum
> YUM OK: 0 Security Updates Available. 15 Non-Security Updates Available |

Again, I have other CentOS servers monitored using the same check_yum
command configured on the Nagios server, they all work fine - including the
Nagios server itself which is monitored through nrpe.

Thank you for your time and consideration, kind regards,
--
Sean M. Alderman
Senior Engineer, UDit Systems Integration and Engineering
salderman1 at udayton.edu

*"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us
is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed. Each of us is
loved. Each of us is necessary."*  - BXVI