Energy/Power Monitoring

Eduardo de Freitas feduardo at tcheturbo.com.br
Mon Sep 9 19:19:52 CEST 2013

Hello there !
First, let me explain our scenario, so you guys can help me out.
We have some buildings in our fiber network, and i'm having some issues
monitoring the energy status.
Currently, i'm using old devices (AP's, hubs) configured with ip
adresses, and i'm leaving this devices outside the no-breaks.
Nagios is checking this devices via check_ping, so, when power is down,
device goes down and it returns DOWN.
Problem is: I must go to the building to restart the device everytime it
goes down.
Our ONU's has no IP adresses, BUT, i can get some data via SNMP, like
traffic, so, running check_snmp, i'm getting the current traffic (10mbps
for example), in case of power goes down and the ONU is turned off, my
traffic's going to be 0.
But still my device is UP for nagios, is there anyway i can tell nagios
that my host has to be DOWN if traffic = 0 ?

Or anyone could light me up with some ideas ?