scheduled downtime Retention problem

Cedric Jeanneret nagios_ml at tengu.ch
Wed May 29 15:23:18 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm having some problem with the retention status with this setup:
nagios-3.4.1-3
Debian Wheezy

Problem:
I schedule some downtime for either a host or a service, but it's not here after a reload (or a restart) of the nagios3 service

Steps:
- schedule some downtime (for one month, if this helps)
- wait for the icon to appear in the web interface
- restart (or reload) nagios3 service
- scheduled downtime is gone

Some more information:
I did check the retention.dat file, it contains, at the end, this block which seems completely correct:
servicedowntime {
host_name=HOSTNAME
service_description=SERVICE
downtime_id=1
entry_time=1369832618
start_time=1369832609
end_time=1372518209
triggered_by=0
fixed=1
duration=2685600
is_in_effect=1
author=USER
comment=MY COMMENT
}

There's also a servicecomment containing some Nagios comment as well - THIS block is shown and taken in account.
I tried to see whether nagios encounter some error while reading its retention file, but nothing shown up…

servicecomment {
host_name=HOSTNAME
service_description=SERVICE
entry_type=2
comment_id=4
source=0
persistent=0
entry_time=1369833542
expires=0
expire_time=0
author=(Nagios Process)
comment_data=This service has been scheduled for fixed downtime from 2013-05-29 15:03:29 to 2013-06-29 17:03:29.  Notifications for the service will not be sent out during that time period.
}

Retention configuration:

grep retain nagios.cfg  | grep -v '#'
retain_state_information=1
use_retained_program_state=1
use_retained_scheduling_info=1
retained_host_attribute_mask=0
retained_service_attribute_mask=0
retained_process_host_attribute_mask=0
retained_process_service_attribute_mask=0
retained_contact_host_attribute_mask=0
retained_contact_service_attribute_mask=0

Another information: the Acknowledge works as expected…

Any idea?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

C.