Nagios3 switch.cfg

Joel Roberts Joel.Roberts at pinkardcc.com
Wed May 15 22:24:29 CEST 2013

I'm deploying a new Nagios server on Debian Linux 6. Have installed the Nagios3 packages, am able to log into the web interface. I'm trying to monitor our network switches and routers, the nagios3.cfg file points to /etc/nagios3/objects/switch.cfg. That folder doesn't exist, the .cfg files are all under /etc/nagios3/conf.d/, but there is no switch.cfg file. So I've created one from scratch, just trying to get the first switch in, but when I try to verify the config files I get the following error:

Error: Could not add property in file '/etc/nagios3/conf.d/switch_nagios2.cfg on line 3. Error processing object config files.

I've created the file from scratch, but pretty basic stuff, line 3 is just the host_name entry:

Define host{
                use                         generic-host
                host-name          cisco2811
                alias                       Cisco 2811 Router
                address                xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                hostgroups         allhosts,network-switches
}

The documentation I've found still lists host-name as a valid entry, not sure what's going on, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joel