High Availabilty with Nagios

Jim Winkle jrwinkle at wisc.edu
Thu May 9 20:33:50 CEST 2013

On 05/09/13, Steve Shipway  wrote:

> Does anyone have an HA setup for Nagios that works?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a NEB module that will link two Nagios setups, and replicate over all status changes, config changes, downtime, comments, etc etc and then set the 'standby' Nagios to be checks/notifications disabled when in standby mode, and enabled when in active mode. Then put the two behind a failover load balancer (F5, Foundry or apache reverse proxy).

We use rsync (run out of cron every minute) and a floating VIP between two hosts. Nagios is running on only one host at a time. It's a trivial (manual) process to switch between hosts.

Files which are synced: all Nagios files except logs and transient results. Files synced include Nagios configs, binaries and CGIs, helper apps, plugins, local plugins and NRPE configs, docs, HTML files, status files, all files in ~nagios, and the crontab for user nagios.

-- Jim