Variables for determining time before first alert

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed May 8 06:33:19 CEST 2013

Hi,

> Hi, I apologize for the terse reply, but I think you will find all the answers to your questions here -
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html

Thanks for your help. I've actually read quite a bit of that, and I'm
still confused. It wasn't clear that max_check_attempts is the number
of attempts that are made for each iteration, before another alert is
triggered.

The check_interval is the number of minutes between each check.

The notification_interval is how often to send an alert to an admin
about a change in status of a service.

Does that sound correct?

I still don't understand this part:

> How does the notification_interval in the regular service definition
> compare with the notification_interval specified in one of the
> serviceescalation sections? In other words, if I set
> notification_interval to 10 minutes for regular services, and
> notification_interval to 5 minutes for escalated services, will I
> receive two notifications? I realize I could try this, but there seems
> to be so many other variables involved that I'd like to be sure my
> understanding is correct.

What is the point of the notification_interval in a standard service
definition? How is it triggered to use one of the escalation macros?

If I have notification_interval specified in the escalation sections,
I would think it would override the higher setting?

Thanks,
Alex