odd timeout behaviour

Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 11:50:49 CET 2013

Hi - wonder if someone can help with an issue around plugin timeouts I'm
having, running Nagios 3.4.3 on Suse. Everyday some of my ConSol Labs
check_logfiles checks being to timeout. They run every 4mins and normally
complete in a few seconds at most. The screenshot below shows one such
example that has been timing out for over two hours now:

The strange behaviour is that if I carry out any of the following 3 things
the check runs fine and the CRITICAL state goes to GREEN, or I can simply
run the check without any kind of timeout - as mentioed this check should
never take 10 secs to complete. In fact changing the timeout value to 45
secs makes absolutely no difference at all. Restarting Nagios makes no
difference.

1) In Nagios, "Re-schedule the next check of this service" - the check
runs just fine.

2) Run the check from the command line on the Nagios server - the check
runs just fine.

3) Run the check from the command line on the target server - the check
runs just fine.

Has anyone come across this kind of behaviour before, or any ideas what
might be wrong?

Thanks - Julian.

Julian Grunnell | Unix Analyst, Infrastructure | TD Direct Investing
T: +44 (0) 113 346 2824 | M: +44 (0) 7889 352527

Consider the environment: Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality:  This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.

Viruses:  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus-free.

Brokerage services provided by TD Direct Investing (Europe) Limited (a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank).  Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA registered number 141282), member of the London Stock Exchange and the PLUS market. Incorporated in England and Wales under registration number 2101863.  Registered office: Exchange Court, Duncombe Street, Leeds LS1 4AX. Banking services provided by TD Bank N.V. authorised and regulated by De Nederlandsche Bank and the Financial Services Authority for UK Business (FSA registered number 216791).  Incorporated in the Netherlands and registered as a branch in England and Wales under branch registration number BR006780.