check_openmanage improvement request

John Skarbek john.skarbek at nextcentury.com
Fri Jul 12 17:03:44 CEST 2013

Good Morning,

I've recently deployed the check_openmanage script and it works very
well.  Except for hosts that run esxi.  Unless I'm doing something
wrong.

I've discovered that Open Manage doesn't broadcast it's OID's through
ESXi like it would if it were a linux or windows host.  However I did
find that the iDRAC7 does have similar snmp responses that I'd like to
capture.  However when pointing check_openmanage to the drac interface,
I get the message indicating that OMSA must not be installed correctly.
However, looking into the script I found:

    my $chassisModelName = '1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.300.10.1.9.1';

Which does indeed NOT exist.  However, a similar OID with the same
information we are looking for is located here:

       $chassisModelName = '1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.5.1.3.12.0';

After modifying the script a little bit I was able to get past that, but
now check_openamange is complaining, "SNMP ERROR [memory]: The requested
entries are empty or do not exist. "

I presume the entire set of OID's is in a different spot when being
checked through the drac versus the standard windows snmp service.  I
would love to assist in enhancing this script, but I'm not sure how I
should start.  Let me know who I should contact, or feel free to reach
out to me to assist with this awesome plugin.

Again this is assuming I have my setup configured correctly.

John Skarbek, System Administrator
w (443) 393-7100 | c (434) 548-0164 | john.skarbek at nextcentury.com
<mailto:john.skarbek at nextcentury.com>
NEXTCENTURYCORPORATION | m 443.545.3100 | f 443.285.0799 |
www.nextcentury.com <http://www.nextcentury.com/>