Question on adding additional user to Web cgi

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:24:29 CEST 2013

Hello All,

Think I am missing something obvious here.  Running core 3.2 and an trying to add a user to the web console.  I only want this user to have rights to the hosts that he is a contact for.

I have a host group called broadband which has no services associated with it .  I am only using the host ping to the ip of the broadband interface to check if my remote broadbands are up & running.  I have a contact set up for this hostgroup  which gets an email if a broadband interface goes down.  I wanted to give the contact access to the nagios web console for this host group only to be able to acknowledge alerts.

I added a new user via htpasswd and have use-authentication=1 in the cgi.cfg file.  The user can log into the web console but sees all hosts and can run commands on other hosts outside of the broadband hostgroup

Looks like everything in the cgi.cfg file is ok, the contact is not listed anywhere under any of the authorized_for_XXXX access.

What did I miss ??  From what I read,

Authenticated contacts*
are granted the following permissions for each host for which they are
contacts (but not for hosts for which they are not contacts)...  If the contact broadband is not a contact for anything but the hostgroup store_broadband, why can he get into other hosts and put them in scheduled down time let alone see them?

Thanks,
Steve