NRPE: Unable to read output; but works when run under strace ...

Florian Ernst florian_ernst at gmx.net
Tue Jan 8 14:53:03 CET 2013

Hello all,

following up to myself ...

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:31:21PM +0200, Florian Ernst wrote:
> [...]
> However, it got weirder: if I strace the nrpe process, everything works
> as desired:
> [...]
> I found no further hints in the strace log, but this led me to assume
> that there is some NRPE weirdness involved, and thus I'm writing here
> instead of further digging through the system.
>
> Any ideas?

Lacking any further clue as to what peculiarity might be responsible for
this weird behavior, I decided to simply let the nrpe process
permanently run under strace like
strace -f -q -e none -o /dev/null ...

The performance impact is minimal, and I finally get check results. Not
really a solution, but it'll do.

Cheers,
Flo