Notifications

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Mon Jan 7 22:54:11 CET 2013

On 1/3/2013 6:31 AM, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> In case it isn't clear: imagine three servers, alpha, bravo and charlie.
> Alpha and bravo are in the "AB" hostgroup; all three servers run Apache.
> If Nagios detects a problem with Apache on any of the servers, it should
> notify the apache-contact-group. If the problem is on alpha or bravo, it
> should also notify the ab-contact-group; however, if the problem is on
> charlie, the ab-contact-group should not be notified.
>
> Can Nagios do this?

Nagios is very flexible in this regard.

If your Apache service check definition contains a directive like
"contact_groups apache-contact-group", try changing it to
"contact_groups +apache-contact-group" instead.  This signals Nagios to
add the services's contact groups to the ones the service inherits from
the host, rather than replace them.

See "Implied Inheritance" and "Additive Inheritance" here:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html

--
-Chris

Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept an offer or to form a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately.

Thank you.