SSL SNI option not returning expected results

Justin Garrison jlgarrison at apu.edu
Fri Jan 4 18:02:56 CET 2013

I recently updated my nagios plugins to version 1.4.16 so that I could
verify certificates for one of our Apache servers using SNI. After
successfully compiling the plugins and restarting nagios the check_http
plugin is still not verifying the SSL certificate based on the service url.

I am trying these commands from the terminal just to verify they are
working before deploying nagios checks.
Here is the command I am using to test the connection (obviously the
hostename and URL were changed just because I'm paranoid)

./check_http --sni --ssl -H MY.APACHE.HOSTENAME -C 8 -u URL1.FOR.SERVICE

This returns the certificate information that is installed for the host
instead of the service. Is there something I'm doing wrong with this check?
Does the nagios host need to be SNI aware some how?

Thanks for the help

--
Justin Garrison
Systems Administrator