Inconsistency of Nagios

Mike Guthrie mguthrie at nagios.com
Fri Jan 4 16:16:41 CET 2013

On 1/3/2013 9:06 PM, C. Bensend wrote:
>> If I understand correctly, I should create some plugin to kill all
>> dependency process on a periodic interval. In my observation I did not see
>> multiple parent process.
> My recommendation was to write a plugin to *detect* multiple parents,
> not kill them.
>
>> Currently what I observe is whenever I see such sluggishness then I stop
>> nagios service cleanup checkresult directory and start nagios again.

Can you explain a little bit more on having to clean up the checkresult
directory?  You shouldn't ever have to do this manually, Nagios reaps
the results from this directory every X number of seconds as defined in
nagios.cfg. How large is your installation? What are the permissions on
the leftover files in this directory? If the checkresults directory
perpetually grows in the number of files, then that would probably
explain the sluggishness, because directory scan alone would make Nagios
have to work much harder...

--

Mike Guthrie
Technical Team