Tweaking Socket timeout

Andre Tann atann at alphasrv.net
Wed Jan 2 09:53:25 CET 2013

Hello everyone,

some of my services report a socket timeout after 5 seconds. How can I
increase this value to 10 secs?

# grep -i timeout /etc/nagios3/nagios.cfg
# TIMEOUT VALUES
service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=10      # <- has been 5 before
perfdata_timeout=10  # <- has been 5 before

In the last two lines there was a value of 5, and I changed it to 10.
This didn't help, which surprises me not much, as the problem isn't ocsp
or perfdata related.

In my understanding the timeout should be 60 secs as in
service_check_timeout, but it is 5 secs as noted before.

Where do these 5 secs come from?

--
Andre Tann