"distributable" downtime delete commands?

Paul Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Mon Feb 11 16:12:09 CET 2013

Páll Guðjón Sigurðsson wrote:
> Thanks a lot Paul,
>
> We have been achieving the same goals with pynag scripts and
> DEL_SVC_DOWNTIME command.
>
> Is there anyone on the list that might take it into their hands to keep
> documentation up to date, maybe even write a routine in nagios to ask for
> every supported external command, so that external scripts know what
> external commands are supported ?
>
> The pynag team depends on the documentation to generate library functions,
> but we have found a few glitches in both external commands docs and the
> nagios.cfg docs. Anyone willing to help us on "getting it right" deserves a
> beer.
>
> Kind regards, Pall Sigurdsson

In my humble opinion, it is incumbent upon those who add new features to
provide documentation for them.  I was happy to help here, since I needed to
know how these worked myself (and since I'm fluent in C).  As Andreas pointed
out, it's easy to grep the source code to find the external command names, but
that is only the beginning in figuring out how the commands actually work.