check_snmp_load and check_snmp_mem output (null) issue.

Ronald Prague rprague at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:48:41 CET 2013

So I have an odd issue.  Running check_snmp_mem.pl and
check_snmp_load.plfrom Manbulon's check_snmp plugins is returning
(null) and I can't figure
out why.

(The firewall is an Astaro/Sophos UTM 320)
I tried turning on debugging, this is the output:

[1360352407.069695] [016.1] [pid=23937] HOST: clk_astaro, SERVICE: Firewall
Load , CHECK TYPE: Active, OPTIONS: 0, SCHEDULED: Yes, RESCHEDULE: Yes,
EXITED OK: Yes, RETURN CODE: 2, OUTPUT: (null)

If I run the command by hand, it works fine, as the nagios user, I've also
verified the nagios user has write access to /tmp just in case:

nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios#  /usr/local/nagios/libexec/
check_snmp_load.pl -H 192.168.0.2 -C public -T stand -w 25 -c 90
2 CPU, average load 5.0% < 25% : OK

Here's the command:

define command{
  command_name check_snmp_load_v1
  command_line $USER1$/check_snmp_load.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $USER7$ -T
$ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ $ARG4$
}

And the service definition:

define service{
        use                     generic-service ; Inherit values from a
template
        host_name               clk_astaro
        service_description     Firewall Load
        check_command           check_snmp_load_v1!stand!25!90
        }

$USER1$ and $USER7$ are defined in resource.cfg:

$USER1$=/usr/local/nagios/libexec
$USER7$=-C public

The only changes to the plugin are for fixing the error for a version
string, from this page: https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/check_snmp

Argument "v6.0.1" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<)

This sources from old plugins getting a changed version string in
libnet-snmp-perl. This can be fixed by replacing all occurences of the
integer less than equal by the string compare 'lt'.

# sed -i 's/Net::SNMP->VERSION < 4/Net::SNMP->VERSION lt 4/g' check_snmp_mem.pl

Any ideas? All of the other services/checks work fine.