Distributed monitoring: central collector doesn't seem to be able to run active checks

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Aug 28 14:08:52 CEST 2013

> Do you get many of those error messages in the logs at once, or just
> one at a time?
>
> Only one thought: what are the permissions on your $USER$ variables?
> Nagios on my systems setuid() to nonroot after startup, and if it gets
> SIGHUP to reload config, but can't read the file defining $USER*$,
> will act strangely.

Just one at a time, seemingly randomly.  A host here, a service there,
several times a day.  They always almost immediately recover, but I
don't understand why my centralized collector seems to have this issue.

Nagios runs as the nagios user, which can read the resource.cfg file
fine:

ls -ld . ; ls -l nagios-hostname.cfg resource.cfg
drwxrwx--- 6 root nagios 4096 Aug 27 16:02 .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   47606 Jul  1 11:18 nagios-hostname.cfg
-rw-r----- 1 root nagios  2400 Mar 19 11:25 resource.cfg

Thanks!

--
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I
will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."