Where is the 'map' file or its equivalent on Debian?

G.W. Haywood nagios at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Aug 24 12:19:18 CEST 2013

Hi there,

First post to this list.  Flames welcome. :)

I've been using Nagios for a couple of years to monitor about two
dozen hosts on our network at work.  The machines are mostly Debian
Squeeze/Wheezy, the Nagios server itself is Squeeze.  Nagios was
installed from the Debian package but the plugins were installed from
source on both the Nagios server and the machines which it monitors.
I've modified a couple of plugins to be able to monitor e.g. hard disc
temperatures and sector remap counts, and that's all working fine.

Yesterday I decided to install Nagiosgrapher from the Debian package
to give a better overall picture of trends.  So far it's been a total
failure.  Well, almost total.  I have some nice graphs of the response
time for HTTP requests on those machines that have Web servers running
(Apache on port 80, and CUPS on port 631) but I have no use for these
graphs as (a) I'm also running Smokeping and (b) the HTTP request
response times are, at least on our LAN, of no interest anyway.  I'd
much prefer to see the clock drifts of my ntp servers, for example.
So I set about trying to figure out how to make such graphs.

The documentation that I can find talks about modifying a 'map file'
(which I gather will be called 'map') so that Nagiosgrapher can graph
arbitrary data.

The problem is that the Debian package did not supply this file.

ged at tornado:~$ atool -l /var/cache/apt/archives/nagiosgraph* | grep map
-rw-r--r-- root/root       267 2012-06-08 17:22 \
./usr/share/nagiosgrapher/debian/cfg/ngraph.d/standard/check_imap.ncfg

Clearly there's something doing the bnecessary somewhere, because I can
see the HTTP graphs, but I've no idea where to look amongst the morass
of configuration files for anything resembling it.

Where is the bit of magic that emulates the map file on Debian?

--

73,
Ged.