parent hosts, frequency of checks, and recovery messages

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Aug 24 00:34:49 CEST 2013

Using Nagios 3.2.x

Following the Network Reachability document...

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/networkreachability.html

...I've assigned the main routers on various networks as parent hosts to
all hosts in their respective networks. When those networks go offline,
I'm only notified that the parent router is offline. This is great.

However, when the network recovers, the parent router is quickly marked
online, whereas many services on that network are still unreachable.
Then comes the time for them all to be checked again, and they recover -
and I get a whole bunch of recovery messages.

Is there a way to avoid this? Somehow silence the recovery messages if
the cause was the parent router going offline?

Thanks!

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/