check_http SSL cert. date format

Niall O Broin niall at makalumedia.com
Sat Aug 17 20:37:51 CEST 2013

Making the date format for check_http --ssl configurable has been requested for quite a while now, but it hasn't seemed to bother any committers enough to ever fix it.

I fixed it a while ago on my local copy of check_http (didn't make it configurable - just hard coded what I wanted in place of the hard coded us format) but today I decided I'd make it configurable.

It'd be nice if it'd just read a  date_format=  line from nagios.cfg but it seems that nagios plugins exist in quite a separate universe from nagios and that isn't easy - I'd be delighted if somebody would tell me I'm wrong.

So, I've made each of check_http, check_smtp and check_tcp now take a --date-format flag, with allowed values the same as those in the nagios config file i.e.

us              (MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM)
euro            (DD-MM-YYYY HH:MM)
iso8601         (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM)
strict-iso8601  (YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM)

Note that I've dropped the seconds value as it's apparently not available.

They also take a short option of -o which was decided on from the few available in each of check_http, check_smtp and check_tcp .

Is there any interest in taking these changes back into the plugins source? If so, who would I send them to?

I made the changes in a copy of nagios-plugins-1.4.16-89-gbfe6 and I just cloned the git repository and see there are quite some changes in that compared to nagios-plugins-1.4.16-89-gbfe6, but I doubt it'd be too much effort for me to redo my changes in the current git tree.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin