Nagios-users Digest, Vol 87, Issue 3 Message 6

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Fri Aug 9 17:00:20 CEST 2013

Farhan,
It's not quite clear from your question just what you wish to monitor.
Do you want to confirm that an OpenVPN process is running on the local
host (via NRPE for example) or on a remote host, or do you wish to
monitor some aspect of the OpenVPN service?

If you're interested in the latter, we published a plugin for this some
time ago, which you can find here:
    https://www.monitoringexchange.org/p/696

Here's the description:

    This plugin can check various operating aspects of OpenVPN running
    on a local or remote system by using the TCP based management
    server. It can report total connections and routes, report on a
    specific connection by CN or IP address or on presence of a specific
    route. Performance data can be returned with specific connection
    reports.

If anyone's interested, we've also developed a PHP class,
openvpn-management-class.php, which provides useful abstractions of the
various OpenVPN structures for use in more complex monitoring
applications.  For example, we use it to monitor tunnel status for a ten
site WAN, to locate user connections across a nationwide Road Warrior
network, etc.  Just drop us a line and we'll be happy to send along a
copy.  (Note: The management class is *not* used in this plugin.)

Cheers,
    -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight, Inc.                             www.onlight.com
219 N. Milwaukee St., Suite 2a            v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202