Configuration changes not taking effect after restart of Nagios

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at kognitio.com
Wed Apr 24 12:38:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm using Nagios 3.4.4 on SLES 11 SP2. This has been running for around two months.

Recently I needed to change the configuration for a service escalation to remove a contact group that would get sms alerts. I restarted Nagios and everything ran fine.

However, it's been reported that recently, the team that shouldn't be getting the sms alerts are still getting them. When I look at the Configuration for service escalations, I can now see two entries for the same escalation, one which is the new , with the sms contact group removed and one with the old config which has the sms contact group included. But when I look at the actual .cfg file for the service escalation definition, there is not mention of the sms group anymore. I've checked, and re-checked and still I can't see why this has happened.

I've even stopped Nagios for a short while and restarted it from scratch and this still doesn't make any difference.

Has anyone else see any oddities like this where config changes don't seem to take effect after a restart of Nagios ?

Is there a "cache" file I can remove from the configuration forcing nagios to recreate it from scratch so that reads the rest of the .cfg files properly ?

Any pointers / ideas on where I go from here would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Deborah

Deborah Martin
Kognitio Analytical Platform Support
Direct +44 1344 788670  Switch +44 1344 300770 | Deborah.martin at kognitio.com
www.kognitio.com<http://www.kognitio.com/>
[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kognitio/259254109883> [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/kognitio>  [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Youtube] <http://www.youtube.com/kognitiowx2>  [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/companies/kognitio>  [Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Blog] <http://kognitio.blogspot.com/>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are strictly confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail immediately.  Any unauthorised distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.

Whilst Kognitio endeavours to prevent the transmission of viruses via e-mail, we cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions. Kognitio grants no warranties regarding performance, use or quality of any e-mail or attachment and undertakes no liability for loss or damage, howsoever caused.