Alert Precedence

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Mon Apr 8 20:58:00 CEST 2013

This is a "basic dependency" in Nagios. When the host is down (hard) then
you won't receive any alerts for the services defined in this host.
What is likely in your case, is that you have scheduled the service checks
more often or faster to alert before the host check. This will result in
some alerts of services before the actual host down alert comes.
You should check out the event log to determine which checks happened
faster to become a hard critical state.