Current-load plugin gives odd output

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:09:12 CEST 2012

I have Nagios 3.3.1, and current load trips critical on some machines
all the time, however the load numbers do not look very high.

This is the service definition I use for all machines, and it works on
about 3/4ths of them:

    define service{
        use                             local-service
        host_name                       TEMPLATE-HOSTNAME
        service_description             Current Load
        check_command
check_by_ssh!22!/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
        notifications_enabled           1
        max_check_attempts              3
        check_interval                  5
        retry_interval                  3
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_interval           15
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,c,r
        contact_groups                  admins
        register                        1
        }

On remote machines, I install the nagios plugins tarball, but not the
nagios tarball.  As I say this works on 3/4 of the machines, and
doesn't always fail on the machines it traditionally fails on.

Example output to the front-end:

Current Load
Notifications for this service have been disabled
	CRITICAL 	09-12-2012 09:57:03 	4d 23h 42m 14s 	3/3 	CRITICAL - load
average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

The /usr/local/nagios folder on the remote machines is chown -R  nagios:nagios

Other check_by_ssh plugins are working on the machines where this one
is failing.

It is a mystery.

--
Wolf Halton